Encouraging our employees and their families to stay healthy is an important issue faced by Denka in its business management. We are committed to promoting health management with the aim of increasing corporate value by ensuring that our employees are both physically and mentally healthy as they engage in their work, perform at their full potential, and increase their productivity.
In January 2021, we established Health Promoting Sec. as an organization for the implementation of this initiative. In April 2021, we issued a press release announcing the Declaration of Health and Productivity Management, which articulates the philosophy and Denka Principles for our health management.
- Declaration of Health and Productivity Management
April 1, 2021
- Denka established The Denka Value, its corporate philosophy, and pursues its mission, “Taking on the challenge of expanding the possibilities of chemistry to create new value and contribute to sound social development.” Leveraging the advantages Denka wields in its specialties, it pursues sound, sustainable growth.
- In the pursuit of sound growth, Denka believes that its employees are important assets. Accordingly, Denka is actively committed to creating an environment where each individual employee is able to fully demonstrate their capabilities, and to enhancing the health and well-being of its employees and their families.
- As part of this commitment, Denka declares its determination to practice "health and productivity management" that organizationally supports the well-being of its employees to ensure they are able to maintain their physical and mental health and continue working energetically.
- Through the healthcare business, which is one of its businesses, Denka also contributes to the enhancement of the health and QOL of our employees and people around the world.
Representative Director, President
Denka Company Limited
- Denka Principles
- To protect the well-being of our human resources and their families, the entire Denka Group comes together to implement activities for health and productivity management, including encour-aging employees and their families to stay healthy. These activities are based on our offices' ex-isting labor safety and health systems and also involve the cooperation of health insurance asso-ciations and labor unions, with the new Health Promoting Sec. playing a central role.
- Denka will stay focused on the creation of an environment where each one of its employees is committed to the enhancement of their health to enrich their own lives and truly represent "The Denka Value."
Health Challenges and Goals
We have created a Health Management Strategy Map that illustrates the connections between health management investments and the effects of our measures.
In order to create a workplace environment in which employees can work energetically with both physical and mental well-being for the realization of sustainable and healthy business growth, we have set the improvement goals. Specifically, the goal for mental health is to "reduce the number of highly stressed employees," and to "increase the number of employees with ideal body weight" for physical health.
We have positioned improvements in "exercise habits” and "anti-smoking" as priority challenges and will continue to deploy measures to achieve the aforementioned improvement goals.
1) Health Management Strategy Map
2) Actual Figures and Target Figures for Main Indicators
The main target figures fluctuated due to restrictions on leaving home and the increased use of remote work caused by COVID-19.
While reinforcing measures related to the improvement of each indicator, we will also assess the impact of the measures on indicator improvements.
|Employees with ideal body weight
|Highly stressed employees
|Good exercise habits
- * Absenteeism is calculated by multiplying the number of sick leave days for all employees by the number of prescribed working days for all employees x 100. 1.05 days/240 days in FY2020 = 0.43%
3) Related Indicators
|Percentage of employees receiving regular health checkups
|Percentage of employees who have received
a stress test
|Percentage of specific health guidance implemented
|Total working hours
|Total overtime hours
|Number of paid vacation days used
|Percentage of paid annual vacation days used
|Number of employees leaving the company
- Reference Information： Work-related Data
Measures to Achieve Goals
1) Mental Health Care
- Stress tests
- Stress tests are conducted once a year to help each employee understand his/her own stress condition and to support self-care to prevent stress and reduce stressors.
In addition, we conduct interviews using industrial physicians for employees who have been diagnosed with high stress levels in close cooperation with industrial medical staff.
Furthermore, group analysis is conducted on an organizational basis to identify overall health risks, status of highly stressed employees, stress factors, etc., and then improvements are made in the workplace and work environment to reduce risks.
- Support from external specialized organization
- We have established an external 24-hour health counseling service by doctors and other specialists for our employees and their families. In addition to mental health counseling, the service provides a wide range of health and medical consultation services to support employees in managing their mental and physical health.
- Enhancement of benefits
- We have established various benefit plans for employees and their families with the aim of enriching employees' personal lives and improving their health through refreshing both physically and mentally.
Employees can freely access a wide range of benefits, including accommodation, gourmet meals, leisure, sports, etc., to help them achieve a better work-life balance.
2) Lifestyle-related Diseases
- Specified health checkups and specific health guidance
- We include specified health checkups as part of regular health checkups for all ages at all of our business sites in Japan. We have established a system that ensures that employees are able to check their own risk of lifestyle-related diseases once a year.
We are also working to improve the implementation percentage for specific health guidance through cooperation between employer and health insurance association.
- Remote guidance on quitting smoking
- As a measure to enhance activities to quit smoking, we have introduced remote guidance on quitting smoking. We aim to reduce the percentage of smokers by deploying intensive support over a 6-month period using tools such as quit-smoking aids and apps.
- Introduction of wellness support app
- As part of our population approach, we are deploying a wellness support app for smartphones.
The application supports employees for their active health improvement by tracking daily steps and physical condition, improving health literacy through health-related quizzes and columns, and establishing daily excise habits through individual and team competition events in which participants compete in the number of steps taken.
- DENKA Walking Competition co-hosted by labor and management
- In collaboration with the labor union, a walking competition was held for domestic business sites to compete for the average number of steps taken per team.
In addition to the President's Award given to the overall top teams, Labor Union and Perfect-Match Awards were given to top teams of each site. The report on the award ceremony were posted at each site, making it more exciting for everyone, including teams that ranked lower. The event contributed not only to improving physical fitness, but also to encouraging communication.
The walking competition started in FY2021 and was held for the first time through co-hosting by labor and management in June 2022, with approximately 2,500 employees participating.
We plan to continue this event every year onward.
3) Disease Prevention
- Organizing health promotion seminars
- We hold health promotion seminars several times a year to help employees gain the basic knowledge necessary for the prevention of diseases, such as lifestyles and working styles in the era of a 100-year life expectancy and not only lifestyle-related diseases but also cancer, mental health and health issues specific to women.
- Subsidies by the health insurance association
- As part of the healthcare program, the health insurance association provides complete medical checkups, cancer and gynecological screenings, and free flu vaccines for employees and vaccine cost subsidies for their families, as well as free periodontal examinations.
4. External Initiatives
We are also actively engaged in promoting health management among our business partners and contributing to the health of society as a whole.
①Development and provision of vaccines and other pharmaceutical products
②Organizing study sessions and health events with partner companies and other external parties
Certification as Health & Productivity Management Outstanding Organization 2022
The Certified Health & Productivity Management Outstanding Organizations Recognition Program is a system under which corporations that practice outstanding health and productivity management are certified by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry and the Nippon Kenko Kaigi.
On March 9, 2022, we were certified as a 2022 Health & Productivity Management Outstanding Organization (large enterprise category) for having met certain requirements.
We will continue to actively promote various measures to create an environment where employees can work energetically in good health, both mentally and physically.
We have started the centralized management of data from employee health checks, and based on the analysis of this data, we will establish KPIs and implement measures aimed at preventing the onset and severity of lifestyle-related diseases, etc., in collaboration with the health insurance association and the Health Promoting Sec. Most recently, we have started providing employees with opportunities to visit remote clinics to assist them to quit smoking and have further reinforced specific health guidance provided to employees. Moving forward, we will continue to support the wellbeing of our employees to enable them to work to their full potential, both physically and mentally.